In accordance with revised public health directives, the New Mexico Department of Cultural Affairs (DCA) will close its museums and historic sites to the public on Friday, October 23, until further notice. The safety and well-being of our employees and visitors is the DCA’s foremost concern. We appreciate your ongoing support and understanding. Please continue to visit this website for updates and to explore virtual visits, programs, and educational opportunities.
You are here
The Museum is open Wednesday through Sunday from 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. each day;
closed on Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Year's Day.
Wednesdays from 10 a.m. to noon are reserved for higher-risk populations. This corresponds with museum’s weekly free day for state residents 60 and older and with a state of NM ID; seniors can enjoy free admission all day.
|Venue||MUSEUM EXHIBITS||DYNATHEATER||PLANETARIUM||COMBO TICKET (Museum & Planetarium)|
On-line ticketing is encouraged to minimize face-to-face contact. This can be accomplished in advance or while waiting to enter the Museum using your cell phone. Please limit your group size to no more than 5 people total to remain in compliance with the current public health order. No more than 5 tickets can be purchased at one time.
- To ensure social distancing between guests and so we do not exceed 250 guests at any one time, a limited number of timed tickets will be available each day. Guests may choose a time and date when they purchase tickets online and must arrive within the hour their tickets are good for. Please do not arrive early as your tickets are not valid for entry until the hour for which they have been purchased. Reduced occupancy might result in a wait to gain entry. While queuing for entry, visitors should observe social distancing.
Entering and Exiting the Museum
- Guests are asked to enter the Museum only through the main doors at the 18th Street lobby. Once inside the Museum, visitors will be asked to exit through Natureworks gift shop and the Café doors. (Note that the Café is not open at this time. Please plan accordingly.)
Membership & Passes
- NMMNHS Members will continue to receive complimentary admission to the Museum, but now have the option to reserve a “ticket” online if they wish. Enter the number of member guests when selecting tickets. Since you will be prompted for your membership number, please have that handy. Current membership to the Museum is required. Note that if your membership expired after March 16th, it will be extended 6 months beyond the expiration date.
- Timed-entry tickets are available online through the museum's ticketing site.
- Also, the Department of Cultural Affairs is extending the expiration date of its New Mexico CulturePass, which allows one visit to each state museum and historic site while active, by six months.
- Restrooms are available and will be cleaned and sanitized frequently.
- All NMMNHS staff will be wearing masks and/or other face protection.
- In New Mexico, everyone is required to wear an approved mask or face covering when in public except when drinking, eating, or under medical instruction. Multi-layered cloth masks are available for purchase at the gift shop. Masks with vents do not satisfy the State’s Public Health Order. Violators of these requirements will be subject to a fine.
- Six-feet social distancing will be required throughout your Museum visit. Markings on the floors have been added to help visitors judge this distance in high traffic areas. Please help us keep everyone safe and respect personal boudaries and safe distances.
- Access to some areas will be limited or remain closed in compliance with public health directives, including theaters, classrooms, libraries, collections storage, and picnic/snack areas.
- The public will not have access to coat checks, lockers, or backpack/purse storage, nor the use of rental equipment such as headsets, portable speakers, strollers, etc., unless required for ADA accessibility.
- Group visits, public programs, special events, and volunteer/docent activities will continue in virtual formats only.
***If you have any questions or concerns, please call 505-841-2869***
The Museum is located at 1801 Mountain Road NW in Albuquerque, New Mexico.
From Interstate 40, take Rio Grande Boulevard south about half a mile to Mountain Road, then east on Mountain Road less than a half a mile to the Museum, turning north on 18th street to the parking lot. The Museum entrance is on 18th Street.
Museum Free Admission Days
- New Mexico seniors age 60 and older receive free Museum admission every Wednesday.
For any other questions, please call us at (505) 841-2800.
Museum Free Admissions Policy For Foster Families
On March 19, 2019, HB 303, granting free admission to all New Mexico foster parents and foster children to all New Mexico Museums and Historic Sites was signed into law. Active foster parent/foster child status shall be verified through an official foster parent identification card. Expired status cards will not be accepted.
*Note – Free admission for children to DCA museums and historic sites in accordance with the policy of each museum/site shall remain unchanged.
Gift Cards for Museum and/or DynaTheater admission are available at the Membership Desk. VISA, Mastercard, American Express, and Discover are accepted. Wheelchairs are available on request.