You are here
Volunteer for your local Museum!
Volunteering gives you the opportunity to share your passion for natural history and science with today’s students and tomorrow’s scientists in a dynamic, ever-changing setting. Whether your interests are in computer science, astronomy, or natural history, we have a need for your assistance! Our volunteers work on the Museum floor and behind the scenes, performing a wide range of tasks.
Besides personal satisfaction and rewarding life experiences, volunteer benefits include free admission, discounts at the NatureWorks gift store and the Museum's Café, newsletters, social activities, and special recognition events.
The Museum is currently accepting volunteers for the following positions: Museum Hosts, Naturalist Center Docents and Information Desk Specialists. All new museum volunteers must attend and complete the "New Volunteer Orientation" training before hours can be logged. The next orientation will take place on Friday, March 10 from 9:00am – 5:00pm at the NMMNHS. Please call (505) 841-2877 or email email@example.com for more information.
Below is a detailed list of all of the volunteer opportunities offered at the Museum:
Administrative Volunteer Opportunities
- Information Desk: Greet visitors to the Museum, check entrance tickets, and answer general information questions
- Data entry: Add Museum information to a computer database
Educational Volunteer Opportunities
- Museum Docent: Help visitors understand Museum exhibits
- Naturalist Center Docent: Assist visitors of all ages in our hands-on discovery room
- Outreach Educator: Present hands-on science activities in the community (extra training required)
- FossilWorks: Prepare fossils in front of the public in the fossil preparation lab (extra training required)
Behind-the-Scenes Volunteer Opportunities
- Exhibits: Help prepare and repair Museum exhibits
- Paleo prep lab: Prepare fossils for study (extra training required)
- Biology prep lab: Prepare biological specimens for study (extra training required)
- Collections: Catalog materials and specimens (extra training required)
Able to help in a way we haven't listed? Tell us!
Interested in volunteering? Questions? Click here to send us an email or call (505) 841-2877